Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Mystery Horn

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Altec19's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    306
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    Greetings All,

    I have a couple of horns that I believe are Altec but can't seem to find any information about them. There is a number molded into them: 50-02-034055. This appears to be in the correct form to be an internal Altec part number. The mounting flange is 16 5/16" by 5 11/16". The horn is made of plastic, not aluminum. I thought at first they might be 32B's but the throat doesn't rise high enough. The were two different drivers mounted. Neither driver has a label on the back just a stamped number. One driver is stamped 34075 the other is 23746. I'm guessing one is an 802 or 808, the other an 806 (can someone id the drivers?). Both drivers are newer gray Alnico models with tangerine phase plugs.

    This appears to be consistent with a speaker sold as a complete system. But which one? Model 15 maybe? Or was there a small pro-grade monitor that used this horn?

    mystery

    As always, Thanks In Advance!

    AF

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    That's a Western Electric design from the 1930's for the small, 800/900 series Altec driver.

    It was used a lot in home hi-fi (Model 15's, for example), and the A-8 VOTT - anywhere space was a problem.

    It has a 60 vertical x 90 horizontal coverage pattern, and crossed over at 800 Hz.

    Can't rmember the model number, though....

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Looks like a 32C for use with a 902.

    GM

  4. #4
    Inactive Member MikeInNH's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2003
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    These ARE the horns from the Model-15. I own a pair. These are EXCELLENT horns. I really like them if you get them to ear level. They are much better then many horns made by other manufacturers.

    They match well with the 802 or 902 drivers. I have the 802-8G driver in my speakers.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.